Sunday, September 30, 2007

How much will you charge?

Before I talk about pricing (latest discussion), I just would like to share a thought that I just had. Last week, 2 of my hard drives failed (from seperate computers). Both happened within 1 week, the other pc only had an IDE connection, the other had both IDE and SATA. It was hard for me to decide whether to get a SATA drive or an IDE drive, because for me I dont see any difference in performance between the 2, and I am used to pluggin in IDE devices. I got the SATA because of the reason, that I have entered the IT world, it is something wherein you can say that the only thing constant is change. If I still use IDE, in time, maluluma lang ako..we just have to accept the changes in technology. (kailangan pakisamahan si Pagbabago)

Okay, back to pricing. About a couple of months ago, a friend of mine asked me if I could create a website for their school. They said they'll be in charged of hosting and domain, they just needed the design and the pages, and they will give me a list of things to put in the site. I have done a few websites before but for free so I didn't have any idea how much I'll charge them for this website. I was thinking of charging them 2-3 thousand for the design and pages because I felt that it was really simple. I got surprised that they offered to pay me 9 thousand for a simple website.

When you think about pricing, these are the things that I think you should consider.
  • Intensity of work - how hard will that project be?
  • Materials used - will you buy software/hardware for that project?

and these are additional things you may want to consider..
  • Your/company's name - pag sikat, mas mahal. I think it's a pride thing. When you're known to do something great, you wouldn't want to keep your prices low because you'll look "cheap".
  • You clients name - Like the school that asked me to do the website, It's a small school, but a school that has a lot of money. (i guess, dahil conio ang mga estudyante doon, mga foreigners eh hehe)

I believe that there are a lot more factors for pricing, but I think that these factors are one of the basic things to consider when you're estimating the price for a proposal.

No comments: